The expediency of Lake Macquarie City Council staff has saved the biggest weekend of the year in Charlestown Netball from imminent disaster.
Early this week Council locked up the netball clubhouse after a routine test discovered asbestos containing materials which required staff to close the facility immediately.
In the pipeline was Friday school netball, Saturday competition netball involving around 1,000 participants and Sunday’s hosting of the Lake Macquarie Games netball with 100 teams competing.
Di Pascoe, President of Charlestown Netball Association told LakeMac Today that she had been contacted by council and told that the southern half of the building containing the BBQ area would remain shut, but the northern end, housing the canteen, toilets and hallway would be reopened at 4pm on Friday.
And, so it was a huge relief for the Charlestown Netball Association, who required the use of the canteen and other facilities for what is their biggest three days of the year – Friday’s school games will obviously be cancelled, but the weekend games will go ahead as scheduled.
Mrs Pascoe said Council was expedient in their findings and a great help in cleaning the BBQ’s which will now have to be housed in marquees on Saturday and Sunday.
“We thank council for, not only, finding a solution to the problem promptly, but offering to replace damaged sections of the building relating to the replacement of any potential asbestos materials,” said Mrs Pascoe.